Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel
- Accessible Parking
It's no wonder that Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel is a highly ranked hostel. Perched on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, just 25 miles south of San Francisco, it is well-maintained, clean, and unbeatable in price for its stunning ocean views. Granted, hostel accommodations aren't for those seeking luxury and room service, but they provide a unique, affordable option for the adventurous traveler. The hostel is both an idyllic retreat and a convenient base for exploring nearby Half Moon Bay. Access is pretty good throughout despite the fact that it's an older facility. An operating lighthouse is on site but it is closed to the public.
There are two sleeping options; shared dorm rooms with bunk beds (there's a 32-inch aisle between beds) or a private room, also with a bunk bed and a lower double bed. The private rooms are in a separate building from the main house which is where you can enjoy an espresso bar, a large fully equipped kitchen, free WiFi, laundry facilities and fabulous ocean views. A firepit behind the hostel has unbeatable ocean views; the gate may be challenging to open in a wheelchair.
While accessibility might night be optimal for some, the peacefulness and over-the-top picturesque views from Point Montara Lighthouse & Hostel will no doubt make for unforgetable memories.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – van accessible, Firm surface, slope not greater than 1:12
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Partial – reachable by firm and stable path, firm and stable surface, knee clearance at least 27" high
- Entry to Sleeping Unit:
- Entry by ramp with slope of 1:12 or less, doors at least 32" clearance
- Paths of travel:
- Accessible paths of travel to sleeping area and registration.
- More Info:
- For the accessible parking follow the steep driveway past the sign that says No Parking. There is an accessible parking sign although there is no striping, but there is plently of room to lower a lift. Pathway to picnic area is less than 36 inches wide and there is a 2 inch lip onto the platform to the main picnic table; other picnic tables are located on steep terrain.
- Unit Reviewed:
Room number 4 is the most spacious of the private room options hence it is in high demand. Decor and furnishings are minimalist with a bed, small desk and chair which can be removed. There's not a lot of room to maneuver in a wheelchair but unlike room number 1, you can at least turn 360 degrees. One nice touch is that when the Pullman style bunk bed is folded up it doubles as a decorative piece portraying jellyfish. A desk blocks the curtains but can be repositioned or moved out of the room. Since the main house is so warm and welcoming you'll probably lounge there more than in your room plus you'll likely meet travelers from around the world.
- clear 32" path to temperature controls,
Ceiling light fixture is operated by a wall switch., clear 32" path to lighting controls, light switch no higher than 48"
- sleeps 3, One double and one single Pullman style bunk, at least 36" clear space along one side of bed, bed(s) are not moveable, 26 inches high, 8.5 inches clearance under bed
- accessible electrical outlets are available indoors, unit is heated (Electric radiant),unit does not have air conditioning or fan,no potable water is available ensuite
- Useful to know:
There are no close by restaurants so you will want to eat before you arrive or bring your own groceries to cook in the fully equipped community kitchen. Lighthouse history enthusiasts can download a 50 page PDF detailing the Point Montara Lighthouse.-
- Nearby Attractions: