West Point Inn
- Accessible Parking
- Accessible Picnic Table
- Accessible Restroom
- Roll In Shower
Perched on the upper south slope of Mt. Tamalpais is the historic West Point Inn, a magical getaway close to the San Francisco/Bay Area. Built in 1904 as a stopover and restaurant on the Mill Valley/Mt. Tamalpais Railway line, this rustic inn sits above the fog belt offering stunning panoramic views of the East Bay, San Francisco, the Marin Headlands and one tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. At night stars fill the skies. The inn is run by a membership based non-profit organization. Non-members can only book the cabin 90 days out from their desired stay.
Features of the Inn, all of them accessible, include a community kitchen, dining area, large living room and a spacious deck with expansive views. Guests will need to bring their own bedding and food; there is none on-site or nearby. Escape to this special place and you will likely not want to leave but to continue the magic, from the inn you can drive a short distance to the top of Mt. Tam and hike the wheelchair accessible Verna Dunshee loop trail.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – Designated accessible parking space with access aisle, van accessible, Firm surface, slope not greater than 1:12
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Yes – reachable by firm and stable path, firm and stable surface, knee clearance at least 27" high
- Entry to Sleeping Unit:
- Level entry, doors at least 32" clearance
- Paths of travel:
- Accessible paths of travel to sleeping area and registration.
- Unit Reviewed:
- Emig Cabin
Rustic and accessible don’t often go hand in hand but this gem of an Inn is one exception. The Emig Cabin, a purposefully built accessible cabin (the other cabin and Inn rooms are not accessible) was built summer 2017 and features a private bathroom with a roll-in shower, a double and twin bed, and a small porch. Reclaimed wood paneled walls from Marin Municipal Water District’s water towers enhances the rooms rustic charm.
- clear 32" path to temperature controls, clear 32" path to lighting controls, light switch no higher than 48", clear 32" path to curtains
- sleeps 3, 1 full bed, 1 single bed, at least 36" clear space along one side of bed, bed(s) are moveable, 20 inches high
- accessible electrical outlets are available indoors, unit is heated (Electric)
- Bathroom Features:
- door has at least 32" clearance, at least 5'x5' turn circle, at least 28" clear space at toilet, grab bars on back wall and at least one side of toilet, toilet height between 17" and 19", sink clearance at least 27" high and 30" wide, roll-in shower, affixed wooden shower bench, bars in shower, hand-held wand in shower, shower wand can be reached from bench.
- Useful to know:
The inn is hike-in only unless you have a disabled person parking placard then you can drive in and park at the inn. The 1-mile dirt road to reach the cabin can be difficult for vans with lowered floors.-
- Nearby Attractions:
Verna Dunshee Trail at Mt. Tamalpais State Park