Access Northern California - Gateway to Accessible Tourism and Recreation Information

Disabled Persons Parking Placard

According to California Vehicle Code Section 22511.5(b), out of state and country disabled parking permits are considered valid for parking in designated disabled parking spaces. (generally colored blue).

If you are traveling from another country or state and don’t have a placard you can obtain a temporary travel placard application either online at, or by writing to:
PO Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

They will send you an application but it must be signed by a physician and is only issued to persons with a permanent disability. The doctor signing the application must make the verification of disability documents available to the California Medical Board if requested.

When you arrive in California, take the application to any Department of Motor Vehicles office and they will issue you a temporary placard good for up to three months. Your placard must be hung from the rearview mirror and allows you to park in blue zones and to park at most metered parking spaces for free. Private lots generally do not offer discounts to placard holders.

For further information,

Barrier-Free Travel: The definitive guide to accessible travel

Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Copyright © Access Northern California 1998 - 2015
Access Northern California is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization