Judge John Sutter Regional Shoreline
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Parking
- Wildlife viewing
The highlights of this linear park are the 600-foot Oberservation Pier that’s lined with information panels, the expansive views of the bay; the Port of Oakland where large white gantry cranes rise like trojan horses, Yerba Buena Island, San Francisco, and its proximity to the trailhead for the bridge crossing.
Shorebirds gather on the ground, in the trees, or are seen bathing and feeding in the nearby mudflats. It’s fun to watch the boats of all types from sailboats manipulating the wind to large container ships and barges assisted by smaller tugboats. Fishing is allowed but there's no cleaning station.
Trails and Pathways
- Time to Complete:
- 30 minutes
- Trailhead Location:
- Across from the accessible parking spaces
- Trail Length:
- 1-2 total miles
- Typical Width:
- 4 ft. & above
- Typical Grade:
- Typical Terrain:
Headphones will come in handy to block the ever-present traffic noise from the bridge. You’ll get a rare opportunity to view the bay to the north by peering under the bay bridge. In less than .5 mile you’ll reach the entrance to the Alexander Zuckerman Bay Bridge trail. Turn left here to take the park’s trail another .2 mile to the observation pier or continue straight to cross the bridge.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – designated accessible parking, van accessible, firm, level or slope no greater than 2%
- Accessible Restroom:
- Yes – Vault toilets are at the parking lot and by the pier. A portable unit is at the trailhead for the bay bridge trail.
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Yes – firm & stable path to tables, firm & stable surface, 27" or greater knee clearance; Located on the observation pier
- Other Things of Interest:
- A short walk past the restrooms by the parking lot is the historic Bridge Yard Building that once served as a facility for maintaining trains and now serves as a popular venue for events and conferences. https://www.thebridgeyard.com/
Within a short driving distance are a few other shoreline parks worthy of a visit, Middle Harbor Shoreline and Port View Parks.
- Good to Know:
- It can be very windy & cold so come prepared with layered clothing.