Gray Lodge Wildlife Area
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Parking
A CDFW Land Pass is required for each visitor and should be purchased in advance. All visitors must register at lot #14 (3 miles from main entrance). Rangers actively check for passes.
Trails and Pathways
- Wetland Discovery Trail & Flyway Loop Trail
- Time to Complete:
- 1.5 hours
- Trailhead Location:
- Parking lot #14
- Trail Length:
- 2-4 total miles
- Typical Width:
- 4 ft. & above
- Typical Grade:
- Typical Terrain:
Past the pond, where the asphalt trail turns left, we instead continued straight on the dirt trail. Both trails meet up again at the elevated viewing platform that overlooks wetlands and where having the place to ourselves, we spent an hour just listening to birdsong and looking at egrets, wood ducks and other wildlife.
After returning to the asphalt trail, at the next junction we turned on to the dirt and gravel Flyway Loop Trail to extend our hike. It meanders by the edges of seasonal and permanent ponds for another 1.5 miles. Look for a short spur trail across from the inaccessible portable restroom that leads to a viewing hide with two accessible viewing spots. A second hide further along the main trail has a large threshold that prevented my powerchair from getting in. Bunnies & lizards scurried across our path as we leisurely strolled back to the parking lot from where we started.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – designated accessible parking, van accessible, firm, level or slope no greater than 2%;
Park at lot #14 to register and reach the Wetland Discovery Trail
- Accessible Restroom:
- Yes – Located next to the accessible parking space in lot #14. The only other portable unit on our hike is on the Flyway Loop Trail and is noot accessible.
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Yes – firm & stable path to tables, firm & stable surface, 27" or greater knee clearance
- Good to Know:
- There are seasonal closures for hiking so consult the website for restrictions. Since hunting is allowed at certain times you may hear occasional gunfire.