Samuel P. Taylor State Park
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Parking
- Particularly good for families
The Madrone area, set at the bottom of the grassy hills of Mount Barnabe, features 5 rustic alternative camping cabins, 2 of which are accessible (cabin #4 and #5). Reviewed here. Refer to the parks website for accessible campsite information.
Trails and Pathways
- Cross Marin Trail
- Trailhead Location:
- Park entrance past the picnic area
- Trail Length:
- Over 4 total miles
- Typical Width:
- 4 ft. & above
- Typical Grade:
- Typical Terrain:
From the picnic area cross the bridge and turn right. For much of the trail you are in deep shade as you pass under tall redwoods, bay, and madrone. You can peek through the trees at views of Lagunitas Creek running parallel to and below the trail or just past the accessible restroom take the 1-mile South Creek Trail for closer views. In the rainy season, you might spot spawning salmon and flowers such as fetid adder’s tongue, giant trillium, and redwood sorrel along this fern filled trail. Depending on the maintenance schedule this path can be overgrown.
Back on the paved Cross Marin Trail are some interpretive panels at historic sites. At about 2.5 miles out you emerge from the shade to open views of the oak studded hills. Retrace your route to return.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – designated accessible parking, van accessible, firm, level or slope no greater than 2%;
Accessible spaces are available at the picnic area just past the park entry kiosk. To reach the southern unpaved section of trail (not reviewed here) park at the Leo T. Cronin fish viewing lot just past Shafter Bridge on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. You must cross Sir Francis Drake Blvd to reach the trailhead; there is no crosswalk here.
- Accessible Restroom:
- Yes – Accessible restrooms are located adjacent to the accessible parking space at Azalea picnic area and about a half-mile further along the trail.
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Yes – firm & stable path to tables, firm & stable surface, 27" or greater knee clearance; The Azalea picnic area just beyond the entrance kiosk is mostly level and set amongst the redwoods. It may not be usable in wet conditions.