Temescal Regional Recreation Area
- Roll In Shower
- Fishing pier
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Parking
- Particularly good for families
- Beach Wheelchair
If the beach isn't your thing, there's a lovely .5 mile paved trail that runs along the east shore; with places to picnic along the shore and an accessible fishing pier that's good for viewing waterfowl .
Understandably, the park can be fairly busy during summer, especially on weekends, so don't go expecting a quiet retreat, but plan to be surprised, as I was, to find this sweet, urban oasis in Oakland.
Trails and Pathways
- East Shore Trail
- Trailhead Location:
- Access from north or south parking lots
- Trail Length:
- Less than .5 mile
- Typical Width:
- 4 ft. & above
- Typical Grade:
- Typical Terrain:
To reach the accessible East Shore Trail (the West Shore Trail is inaccessible), from the north parking lot follow the trail left towards the beach. At the start you're slightly elevated above the lake so the views are best here. Thereafter you're never far from the shore.
Just beyond the beach is a little waterful and then an accessible fishing dock where you can take in the views across the lake. Shortly after you pass the south parking lot you reach the West Shore Trail where the terrain changes and becomes impassable to wheeled mobility devices.
On the return you could extend your hike another .8-miles (roundtrip) on the asphalt Landvale Station Trail by crossing the service road at the northern end of the East Shore Trail. This trail has tall bushes on both sides that prevent views of the lake and and also muffle traffic noise as you travel parallel to Hwy 13. The trail ends at Broadway Terrace.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – designated accessible parking, van accessible, firm, level or slope no greater than 2%;
The North Entrance off Broadway has more accessible spaces than the South Entrance off Broadway Terrace
- Accessible Restroom:
- Yes – All 3 locations are accessible: By the north & south parking lots and at the beach house.
- Beach Wheelchair:
- Yes – Reserve 24 hours in advance: (888) 327-2757, option 3, extension 4561
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Yes – firm & stable path to tables, firm & stable surface, 27" or greater knee clearance; Several accessible tables are scattered throughout the park. The only ones on pavement are by the dock.