Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel
- Accessible Parking
- Accessible Picnic Table
- Accessible Restroom
- Roll In Shower
Perched on a cliff on a promontory within the Pigeon Point Lighthouse State Park, you can’t beat the ocean views and location of Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel. It is comprised of four houses (only the Dolphin unit is wheelchair accessible) that have a mix of shared and private rooms. The Dolphin’s private room; generally booked by wheelchair users, has a full size bed and would be tight for 2 people in wheelchairs. The dorm-style room with bunk beds would be challenging for a fulltime wheelchair user but may work for some. There is a well-appointed common room, stocked with an assortment of games, books, a piano and a dining area. The community kitchen is fully equipped with a roll under sink, stove, oven, microwaves, coffeemakers, pots and pans, dishes, utensils, and a refrigerator. Out back is an accessible deck with lovely ocean views. Next to the parks visitor center and perched on the bluff, is a hot tub for hostel guests only. It is partially in-ground and may work for some with good upper body strength but there is no lift. Free WiFi.
A viewing platform behind the visitor center is a great place to spot whales during migration mid-December to April.
- Accessible Parking:
- Yes – Designated accessible parking space with access aisle, van accessible, Firm surface, slope not greater than 1:12
- Accessible Picnic Table:
- Yes – reachable by firm and stable path, firm and stable surface, knee clearance at least 27" high
- Entry to Sleeping Unit:
- Entry by ramp with slope of 1:12 or less, doors at least 32" clearance
- Paths of travel:
- Accessible paths of travel to sleeping area and registration.
- More Info:
- The hostel and park share a lot. To reach the hostel requires that you travel on the park roadway a short distance (no cars are allowed on this section). The route to the picnic tables may be unusable after rains.
- clear 32" path to lighting controls, clear 32" path to curtains
- sleeps 2, One full-size bed, at least 36" clear space along one side of bed, 24 inches high, 7 inches clearance under bed
- accessible electrical outlets are available indoors, Need to move nightstand to access electrical outletunit is heated,unit does not have air conditioning or fan,no potable water is available ensuite
- Closest to bedroom
- Bathroom Features:
- door has at least 32" clearance, at least 5'x5' turn circle, at least 28" clear space at toilet, grab bars on back wall and at least one side of toilet, toilet height between 17" and 19", sink clearance at least 27" high and 30" wide, roll-in shower, affixed wooden shower bench, bars in shower, hand-held wand in shower, shower wand can be reached from bench.
- Bathroom Barriers:
- Portable plastic bench